Educational Programs and Opportunities
Take a look at our educational programs and opportunities.
In This Section:
Gates of Discovery Preschool
We regret to announce that Gates of Discovery: The Rose and George Teller Preschool of Shaare Tefila will be temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is our hope that, as circumstances change, we will be able to again offer a preschool to the greater Olney community. For more information about our current preschool aged programming, please contact Babette Cohn at 301-593-3410 ext. 106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOIN US FOR THE 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR – Looking for an engaging, liberal Jewish education program for your child? For the past 10 years we have successfully used an online platform with grades 3-7 for one-on-one Hebrew learning arranged at times convenient for families and tutors together. While all grades focus on Jewish Studies on Sundays, grades K-2 attend tuition-free. We also offer engaging social and educational experiences for grades 8 & up. The new school year will begin virtually on Sunday, September 13, and will continue in a virtual format until further notice. If you would like to learn more please contact Babette Cohn, Director of Education & Programming.
The Mission of the Chavaya Religious School at Shaare Tefila is to provide the children of Shaare Tefila with:
A familiarity and knowledge of Jewish traditions,
Love and respect for Torah,
Connection to the people of and the land of Israel,
An understanding of Jewish history, and
Fostering a sense of responsibility to our world through Derech Eretz (ethical decency) and Tikkun Olam.
Keeping in mind the following core values, our students learn that they are part of the sacred community that is Shaare Tefila Congregation:
KEHILAH KEDOSHAH – We are a “holy community”
SHALOM BAYIT – “Peace in the house”
KAVOD – “Respect” or “Honor”
CHESED – “Kindness” or “Loving kindness”
Virtual Class Schedule – During the fall of 2020 our program will be held online every Sunday:
Grades K-11: Sundays between 9:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., organized with each class having its own time slot. Separate classes for grades 8 & 9 and 10 & 11 will each meet twice a month on alternating Sundays.
Grades 3-7: Midweek 30 minutes of one-on-one Hebrew tutoring online, time scheduled at the convenience of the family and tutor together.
In Person Class Schedule – When the public health environment allows our school will be structured as follows:
Grades K-2: Sundays 9:30-12:00
Grades 3-7: Sundays 9:30-12:00, plus 30 minutes of Hebrew tutoring online each week.
Grades 8 & 9 and 10 & 11: 9:30-12:00, twice a month for each class with a focus on topics of interest and field trips.
For more information or questions, contact Director of Education & Programming Babette Cohn or by phone at 301-593-3410 ext 106.
Ongoing classes: New participants always welcome!
- First Wednesday with the Rabbi – 7:45pm-9pmJoin Rabbi Layman on the first Wednesday evening of the month as we explore contemporary issues from a Jewish perspective. “The focus of this first year of the class (October through June) will be the newly published book Modern Conservative Judaism: Evolving Thought and Practice by Elliot N. Dorff. Why are we affiliated with Shaare Tefila? What does it mean to be a Conservative Jew? How can Jewish thought influence our lives today? These questions and more will be explored.” If you can’t make this class you can watch on Youtube.
- Friday mornings – 9:30-10:30 – Torah ClassWhat does the Torah teach us? What do the traditional commentaries add to our understanding? How is the Five Books of Moses relevant to our lives today? These questions and more are explored as we delve into the text in the English translation.
- Sunday mornings – 9:30-10:30 – Talmud class“Two people grab a garment; one says ‘it’s mine’ and the other says ‘it’s mine’”. Join our Talmud class as we explore this section of the Talmud and learn how the rabbis 1500 years ago made Jewish law and practice meaningful and contemporary.
- Sunday mornings – 10:30-11:30 – Intermediate HebrewDo you know how to read Hebrew? Would you like to practice to become a more fluent reader? Join this class as we use the prayerbook as our text. Not only will we practice reading Hebrew but we’ll also explore the origin and meaning of the liturgy.
Bar / Bat Mitzvah Training
News and Events
Contact Us / Directions
Copyright 2020. All rights reserved. Website designed by Emily Lin, Ethan Kolderman, and Kate Schleusener. Powered by Knowbility | AIR 2020
16620 Georgia Avenue, Olney, MD 20832
(301) 593-3410 | email@example.com