Educational Programs and Opportunities
Take a look at our educational programs and opportunities.
In This Section:
Young Children Programs
Shaare Tefila strives to provide each child with a secure, caring and stimulating experience. Shaare Tefila educates youth to be lifelong learners, to be responsible and active participants in civic life. Our focus on social, cognitive, physical and emotional growth meets the needs of each child. It is our desire to help young students use their innate abilities to create, imagine, explore and learn. Our powerful belief in the competence of all children nourishes the practice of maximizing every child’s capability.
Shaare Tefila offers an excellent liberal Jewish education that includes an engaging experience on Sundays for everyone in grades K-12. Children in grades 3-7 attend in person on Sundays plus experience their Hebrew learning with a tutor, one-on-one using an online platform. We have been teaching Hebrew to children for OVER 10 years, making us skilled in helping children with their Hebrew reading and prayers. If you have questions please contact Babette Cohn, Director of Education & Programming, 301-593-3410 x106.
You Can Find Details About Our Experiential Education Program for Every Grade on This Curriculum Document
* Our curriculum is based in experiential Jewish learning and includes: putting Hebrew prayer into practice during worship experiences; learning about holidays each year with age appropriate activities; history of the Jewish people using primary text sources; and so much more! *
* Over 10 years of experience teaching Hebrew online including weekly, individualized Hebrew tutoring, focused on Hebrew reading and prayer learning. Sessions scheduled at the family’s convenience.
* Twice a month learning experiences for students in grades 8 & up.
JOIN US FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR – Learn more about our engaging, liberal Jewish education program on this flyer!
CALENDAR FOR 2022-23: Find the full Chavaya School Calendar here!
If you would like to learn more please contact Babette Cohn, Director of Education & Programming.
The Mission of the Chavaya Religious School at Shaare Tefila is to provide the children of Shaare Tefila with:
A familiarity and knowledge of Jewish traditions,
Love and respect for Torah,
Connection to the people of and the land of Israel,
An understanding of Jewish history, and
Fostering a sense of responsibility to our world through Derech Eretz (ethical decency) and Tikkun Olam (Repairing the World).
Keeping in mind the following core values, our students learn that they are part of the sacred community that is Shaare Tefila Congregation:
KEHILAH KEDOSHAH – We are a “holy community”
SHALOM BAYIT – “Peace in the house”
KAVOD – “Respect” or “Honor”
CHESED – “Kindness” or “Loving kindness”
Class Schedule for 2022-23
Grades K-2: Sundays 9:00-12:00
Grades 3-4: Sundays 9:00-12:00, plus 30 minutes of Hebrew tutoring online each week.
Grades 5-7: Sundays 9:00-12:00, plus 30 minutes of Hebrew tutoring online each week, with an option to make it a 45 minute session.
Grades 8-12: 9:00-12:00, twice a month for each class with a focus on topics of interest and field trips.
For more information or questions, contact Director of Education & Programming Babette Cohn or by phone at 301-593-3410 ext 106.
Ongoing classes with Rabbi Layman: New participants always welcome!
- Wednesday morning Torah Study – weekly – 11am-NoonJoin Rabbi Layman every week as we discuss that week’s Torah portion. Learn about how the ancient text becomes relevant to our lives today.
- What does the Torah teach us? What do the traditional commentaries add to our understanding? How is the Five Books of Moses relevant to our lives today? These questions and more are explored as we delve into the text in the English translation.
- Sunday mornings – 9:30-10:30 – Talmud class – “Two people grab a garment; one says ‘it’s mine’ and the other says ‘it’s mine’”. Join our Talmud class as we explore this section of the Talmud and learn how the rabbis 1500 years ago made Jewish law and practice meaningful and contemporary.
- Sunday mornings – 10:30-11:30 – Prayer Book Hebrew – Do you know how to read Hebrew? Would you like to practice to become a more fluent reader? Join this class as we use the prayerbook as our text. Not only will we practice reading Hebrew but we’ll also explore the origin and meaning of the liturgy.
Bar / Bat Mitzvah Training
News and Events
Contact Us / Directions
Copyright 2020. All rights reserved. Website designed by Emily Lin, Ethan Kolderman, and Kate Schleusener. Powered by Knowbility | AIR 2020
16620 Georgia Avenue, Olney, MD 20832
(301) 593-3410 | email@example.com